Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Chapter 11: Inspired by the Cable Guy

Monday morning, I went to see what I could do to have my cable moved. I need my cable internet moved so I can work online at home. Plus, I don't have a TV, and watching Netflix relaxed me after work. But, the cable company was closed on Mondays.

On Tuesday, I went back. I made arrangements to get my cable moved on Wednesday, but I had to make sure I answered the phone call when they called to tell me they were coming, or they would reschedule me.

I work late at night, so when I got home, after unwinding, I usually didn't get to sleep until about four o'clock in the morning. My phone was turned off, so I missed the call Wednesday morning. I had to reschedule for Friday.

In the meanwhile, I had moved into my apartment, and unpacked enough to be able to sleep there again. The dogs were adjusting, but I was having trouble with the newness.

Wednesday night at work, I accidentally dropped my phone into a mop bucket without knowing it. The chemicals in the water, coupled with the fact that it was there an hour before I found it, and it already had a cracked screen, made it impossible to fix, even with rice.

So now, I was without internet, TV, AND a phone, having to move and get settled in a new apartment.

Thursday morning, I bought a new phone. I took the opportunity God gave me to upgrade on the one I had. But, it was like relearning how to walk. I had to get to know the new gadgets on the phone, and how to work it.

Friday morning, my appointment with the cable company was scheduled between 9 and noon. I received the call, but I accidentally hit decline on my phone instead of answering it. I immediately called the cable company, who rescheduled my hook up by 7 pm.

Then, my roommate informed me that something was wrong with my car. You could see a trail of liquid from the road all the way under my car. There was a puddle under where it was parked. I told her, "I got home at 2 AM. Surely, the water would have dried by now. That can't be water." The apartment manager smelled it and said, "Transmission fluid."

Just what I needed. I only like three more payments on the car.

I was barely able to get the car down the street to my mechanic. They found a line that had been knocked loose and (Praise God) fixed the car within two hours, only costing me $30.

In the meanwhile, I had already accepted five calls from the automated confirmation that the cable company does to make sure that I still wanted my cable. The last call came at nearly 2 PM. It was from an unknown number. They had told me that if I get an unknown number to accept it, because it was probably the technician. I accepted the call, but there was a bad connection and the call was ended.

I was SOOO frustrated!

I called the cable company, begging them to keep my appointment. They assured me everything was fine.

An hour later, I called them again because the technician still hadn't showed up. They assured me I was still in the system.

Finally, about 4 PM, I got the knock at my door. I barely opened it because the dogs were barking. I said, "Are you with the cable company?" The good looking man looking at me smiled and said, "Yes, ma'am, I am." My heart melted. He was EYE CANDY!

"Let me put the dogs up..."

I was thinking, "So this was why God had me so frustrated. Under any other circumstance, I'd be chasing this one..." I couldn't help but laugh at myself. I had been single for so long (over two years), and had enjoyed it so much, I had wondered if any of that sort of desire still resided in me. My sudden embarrassment at my weakness was replaced by praise that God saw fit to remind me that I was still all woman.

We spoke while he hooked up my cable. He asked me personal questions (Like, where I worked, and that it didn't seem fit for me to live in a place like this with my position at the hospital). I explained to him that I was single, and on the back side of middle age, and was thinking of my retirement. I needed to save money, and that I had just got my promotion at work. I told him about my roommate (whom he met while I was putting the dogs away) and the fire.

He said, "You gotta believe with all that that SOMEBODY is looking out for you!"

I took the opportunity and said, "I do. As a matter of fact, you should come visit my church, 1st Bikers Church on Sunday."

He raised his eyebrows and asked, "Really? Where is this?"

I told him. I hoped he'd come.

I got to thinking about all this after he left. God has spent the week upgrading me. I was now in a new apartment, with a new phone, my car was fixed and I could sit back, relax and watch Netflix. And, just maybe, my cable man would come to church on Sunday.

However, I still planned to stay single for as long as I could. God had certainly taken care of me thus far! No need to ruin that!


No comments:

Post a Comment