Friday, July 5, 2019

Chapter 6: Revival

I found myself getting to know my neighbors and the people on the bus on the way to work and the people I worked with. It was so different getting to know them as a single person focused on God than it was when I was living in sin with my ex. I felt I could focus more on my new friends than I could on myself or what I had to face ahead of me.

As April turned into May, my money situation seemed to get better. I was able to start saving for a vehicle. As my finances stabilized, I was also finally able to stay online and not worry so much about my bills. I had food in the house and my clothes were clean. I never worried about how I was going to be able to get to work.

I was usually too tired and drained after work to cook, so I ate a lot of cold foods and quick fixes. I wasn't starving, so it didn't concern me.

Milo, my dog, chewed up one of my shoes, so I knew it was getting time for me to get some new clothes.

In all my needs, I trusted God, then I watched Him show out.

One day, I had worked an hour later than usual. I was fortunate to be on the bus when an old man, who regularly rode the bus, boarded at WalMart. He complained that he had lost his cane, and it was apparent that he had trouble walking without it.

When my ex and I split, he left one of his walking canes behind. Since I spoke to him a few times since, and he has never asked for his cane, it was obvious he didn't need it. So, I told the old man, "I have a cane you can have. I will be on the 7:00 AM bus in the morning." He wanted to know how much I wanted for it. I told him I couldn't see charging him for something he needed and I didn't.

The next morning I had the cane in my hand as I waited for the bus. A co-worker drove up and stopped, asking me if I wanted a ride to work. Without thinking, I opened the car door and started to get in, but the cane in my other hand stopped me. "I better not," I told him. "I'm on a mission to deliver this cane to someone riding the bus. Maybe next time. Thanks!"

One day, after church, I got into more comfortable clothing, then sat in front of the computer. Milo went to town on another one of my shoes without my knowing it, until it was too late. Now I had one shoe chewed from both pairs of work shoes. I was angry at him and scolded him good for it.

I was still able to wear one pair, without anyone noticing the chewed up leather unless I raised my pants leg to show them, so I opted to wait until payday to buy new shoes. Then my friend that had just dropped me off from church called me. She had lots of food that she couldn't eat, and asked if I wanted it. I never turned down free food, If I can't eat it, I know plenty around me who can, so of course I told her, "Sure!"

I felt so blessed when she brought me tuna helper, chicken and rice, canned vegetables, frozen burritos, and frozen deer meat. It was as if God was saying, "Here, Shonda, forget the grocery shopping this week. Now you can get some shoes instead. Let me help you save for that car."

It was a reminder to me that God doesn't always come through the front door to get you what He thinks you deserve. Sometimes He comes through the back door, and sneaks it in when you aren't looking. I smiled a lot the next couple of days, feeling revived in my spirit!.

When the weekend came, an old schoolmate came by to visit. She brought with her a large trash bag full of clothes and shoes that I badly needed, even though I couldn't wear most of the clothes until winter. I was thankful, as I demonstrated how much weight I had lost by what I was wearing.

God had just provided me with shoes I was prepared to buy for myself. He said, “No, you will have a car payment to make, soon. Best to save your money.”

No comments:

Post a Comment