Saturday, June 29, 2019

Chapter 2. The Lily of God’s Eye ​

Financially, I was not prepared for being single. While I did pay the rent, I had depended on my ex for food and other necessities. I worked at a hotel, cleaning rooms, about 20 hours a week. Sometimes, God was gracious enough to allow me to receive tips.

I didn’t have a computer. I thanked God for my cell phone, for it allowed me to have social media that kept me from feeling so alone. Being able to share my experiences with the whole world made me feel less “alone”. And, I had nothing to hide. I laid it all out. I told my story to anyone who would listen.

I had recently applied for a job at a local hospital to do housekeeping for them. I had worked there many years before and knew I could do the work; but the lady who interviewed me had yet to call me.

I spent the first week of the New Year of 2014 praying and planning my very tight budget. I thanked God that my children were grown and had already left the nest. As much as I loved them, I could not afford to care for them at this point.  I made a list of all the resources available for receiving free meals and other necessities if needed, and I made appointments on my calendar to get help when needed. 

I started a list of things I needed, and things I wanted. I titled it “Things I’m Asking God For”. Then, I prayed over it and posted it on the internet.

I begin to get the sense that all my friends and family were closely watching me, wondering if I was going to go back to the abuse I had just rid myself of, the way so many women do. I determined that that was not going to be me. I determined to prove to them that if I trusted in God, He would take care of me.

Luke

Chapter 12

27 Consider the lilies how they grow: they toil not, they spin not; and yet I say unto you, that Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.

28 If then God so clothe the grass, which is to day in the field, and to morrow is cast into the oven; how much more will he clothe you, O ye of little faith?



I was two hundred dollars behind on my rent because my ex had stolen it and spent it on drugs, and my landlord was on the verge of kicking us out when I finally told my ex it was over and demanded he leave. I had given him the ultimatum of leaving, or having charges against him he did not want filed. I talked to my landlord and told him the situation. I told him that I would agree to pay $25 more each week until I was caught up, and then I would pay my rent by the month, if he would be so kind as to let me pay out the amount I owed him. I agreed that should I become behind for any reason until it is caught up, that I would leave.

My landlord had no reason to work with me other than my word, and I was depending on God to touch his heart as I spoke with him. I praised God that he agreed to my terms. Then, I prayed that God would provide so I could keep my word.

Not having the money to wash my clothes in the laundry room at my apartments, I had to hand-wash my clothes. My step-dad gave me a gallon of homemade laundry soap to use. God provided for my clean clothes until payday.

God provided for my hunger, my thirst, and my attire; and in return I trusted and determined to follow Him. He was proving, on a daily basis, that He could keep a promise.

On January 3, 2014, the day I talked to my landlord, I received a phone call from the job I had applied for. I spoke to my current employer and she graciously allowed me to leave on good terms at the end of the day, rather than put my two weeks notice in, and I could start my new job on Monday, January 6th.

The pay was a little bit lower, but I was guaranteed 40+ hours each week, so I was actually making about twice as much as I was currently making. I danced a jig, and raised my hands in praise, with tears rolling down my face, after I hung up the phone.

I couldn’t wait to get on social media and tell the world how God had blessed me. I determined that there was no way that I was going to step backwards from this. I was moving forward, and I was placing God ahead of me. I felt like I had won the lottery.

Lauren Daigle’s hit single, “I Will Trust in You” fit my life at that point. I listened to that song over and over again.




1 comment:

  1. Inspiring story of courage and letting go of the familar comforts and trusting God through obedience.

    ReplyDelete