Sunday, August 4, 2024

Chapter 26: A Change in Direction

I had left the prison and got a job as a cook at a local diner. 


I was getting paid about $215 a week, after taxes. And, after the $6 a day was deducted from my paycheck for meals, whether I ate it or not.


That was a far cry from the $3,019 a month I was getting as a corrections officer. 


But, I was smart enough that I had made sure that I could make it on minimum wage if I had to. 


When Covid hit, and the nation shut down, I still had a job because I was an essential employee. 


I had already started playing with the stock market. I would put my few tips into it to save for a rainy day. Then we got our first stimulus check. 


The stock market had hit rock bottom. It had nowhere to go but up. I knew that sooner or later it would have to come up. The only other option was that the United States would sink. That wasn't going to happen. 


So I invested my whole stimulus check into the stock market. Within the next few months I had quadrupled my money. 


On October 30th, 2020, my boss bought me a beautiful cake and I had a birthday party at my job. It was wonderful! I had no idea that what was about to happen was going to happen. 


The next day, I was working as a backup cook for my boss. She was having a bad day. She got angry with me because I didn't have eggs ready for her to throw on the grill when she didn't tell me she needed eggs. She would get mad at me if I read the tickets ahead of time, so I didn't. And then when she got mad at me about not having the eggs, I confronted her with the fact that she hadn't told me she needed eggs. She thought I should just read her mind because she had some ingredients on the grill that the eggs went with. Those were the same ingredients that hash browns went with, so that did not help matters. I told her so. 


She then called me a smart-***. And I told her I wasn't going to take her abuse. I started to walk out. 


She hollered out that if I walked out not to come back. I told her I wouldn't and I did. 


I went home, and then it hit me that mortgage was due on the first of the month. 


I was desperate to find something as quick as I could. In the meantime I needed money to pay my mortgage with. 


So, I signed up for Uber Eats and WaitR.


By November 2nd, I was accepted on to both platforms. So I started driving to pick up orders at restaurants and deliver it to people for pay through the apps. 


My car had no heat, no air conditioner, no defogger, no radio. I was a smoker. So I wasn't going to sign up for passenger pickups. And besides, this was just a trial run. 


By the end of the month of November, I had made over $3,000. About as much as I made as a corrections officer. 


I went back to my former job that I had just left, and I thanked my former boss for firing me. Then I went to Car-Mart, and I purchased a new Ford Taurus XL SUV. 

I praised God, that He had made me a way when I was desperate. I honestly felt that it was God-given...and I loved what I was doing. It had been an answer to my prayers!




No comments:

Post a Comment