Friday, October 11, 2019

Chapter 21: Sacrifices

As the time moved closer to my graduation, about half-way into my pre-employment training, everything was going good. My future depended upon my ability to get through the Academy and keep my job. As a requirement, I was informed that I could not be late for class, or I would have to be recycled and start completely over. I could not afford that. So, I did everything I was supposed to do, the way I was instructed to do in order to make it work.

It was a 25 to 30 minute drive each morning to get to work. I had to be there by 6:30 A.M in order to join my classmates at line-up to march into the building to get processed in for classes.

One morning, at 5:30 A.M., I opened my car door, threw in my purse -- which had my cell phone in it -- and shut the door to return to my apartment to get my uniforms for cleaning and my ice chest with my water bottles and tea in it I took with me every day.

When I got back to my car, the door was locked. My car keys were inside my purse.

The apartments where I lived recently changed owners and many of the tenants there had moved out. There were only three apartments lefts in the month of May, 2018. I was one of them. I knew I could not wake them up to help. I had 45 minutes left to get to work at that point. I could not call a locksmith, because it would take them too long to get there. I could not call a cab for the same reason. So, I did the only thing I could do.

I went back into my apartment (thankfully, I had kept that key in my hand) and grabbed my hammer, and busted out my rear driver’s side passenger window.

On the way to work, I traveled down the interstate highway. An 18-wheeler had caught fire so traffic was slowed somewhat. I thought about the fact that had I made the trip during the time I was supposed to have made it, I might have been caught right beside that truck when it caught fire. I could have been involved in a wreck. Me locking my keys in my car was God’s protection of me, even though, at the time, I was frantic and frustrated at the situation.

2 Samuel Chapter 22
3 The God of my rock; in him will I trust: [he is] my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower, and my refuge, my saviour; thou savest me from violence.
4 I will call on the LORD, [who is] worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from mine enemies.

I praised God.

When I got to work, I had to park off the premises, because I was at a prison. Vehicles that were not able to be secured could not park inside the designated parking lot for safety. So, I had to walk a little ways to make it to the rendezvous point to meet with my class.

As our class instructor, a Sergeant, came out to lead us inside, he asked the class, as he inspected our uniforms and formation, “Has everyone checked their pockets and persons for anything they shouldn’t have on them before we go?”

One of my classmates spoke up and said, “Sarge, Ponder didn’t park on the premises.”

The instructor looked at me and said, “Ponder, how come you didn’t park where the class was designated to park?”

I answered, “Because I busted out my car window this morning, Sir.”

With an inquisitive look in his eye, he asked, “How?”

I said, “With a hammer, sir.”

I could tell the corners of his mouth were turning up slightly as he tried to hold back a smile. He asked, “Why?”

I said, “I locked my keys in the car, sir. I didn’t want to be late.”

He was trying not laugh, but I could tell he wanted to. Some of my classmates giggled. He said,

“Ponder, you got heart. I’ll give you that. Forward! March!

As we were marching in formation, one of my classmates behind me said, “It will cost you to get that window fixed.”

I said, smiling, “It would have cost me a lot more if I hadn’t busted it out.”

I actually felt pretty about myself all day that day. God had my back when I didn’t expect it; and, Satan hadn’t stolen my joy!

Psalms Chapter 121
1 (A Song of degrees.) I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help.
2 My help [cometh] from the LORD, which made heaven and earth.
3 He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: he that keepeth thee will not slumber.
4 Behold, he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep.
5 The LORD [is] thy keeper: the LORD [is] thy shade upon thy right hand.
6 The sun shall not smite thee by day, nor the moon by night.
7 The LORD shall preserve thee from all evil: he shall preserve thy soul.
8 The LORD shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in from this time forth, and even for evermore.


No comments:

Post a Comment